The Paediatric Intensive Care Chapter or PICC is an affiliated body of the Sri Lanka College of Paediatricians. The inaugural meeting of the PICC was held at the college premises on 24th May 2019 under the patronage of Dr. R. Ajanthan ( President of SLCP).
- To advance the knowledge, study and practice of the science of Paediatric Intensive Care among members of the medical profession
- To facilitate, conduct and supervise research and audits pertaining to Paediatric Intensive Care
- To advocate safe and quality practice of Paediatric Intensive Care by developing policies, and guidelines and by conducting educational programmes
- To function as an advisory body pertaining to all aspects of Paediatric Intensive Care, including but not restricted to, training, practice, institutional development, procurement of equipment and medicines, related to Paediatric Intensive Care.
- To collaborate with other organizations, both local and international, for the betterment of Paediatric Intensive Care.
- Life Membership
It is open to all Board-Certified Paediatricians and Paediatric subspecialists and to Senior Registrars in Paediatrics and its subspecialties who are members of the Sri Lanka College of Paediatricians and registered with the Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC).
- Associate Membership
- Medical Officers who are registered with SLMC but are not eligible for life membership will be granted associated membership following subject to PICC Council approval. Council approval should be unanimous.
- Associate Members cannot become Office Bearers and they do not have voting rights.
Fee for Life Membership is Rs. 3000.00 and Associate Membership is Rs.2000.00 These are ‘once and for all’ payments.
Office Bearers of the Inaugural Council
Dr. Duminda Samarasinghe
Dr. Pradeep Gamage
Dr. Navoda Atapattu
Dr. Micheal Janz
Dr. Sanjaya Abeygunasekara
Dr. S. Krishnapradeep
Dr. Saman Kumara
Dr. Randula Ranawaka
Dr. Kanchana Singappuli
Dr. Rukmal Gunathilaka
Dr. Channa de Silva
Regional educational events were held under the theme “Clinical Pearls of Paediatric Emergencies”. A total of 05 programmes were held during the last year.
The first programme was held at Teaching Hospital Anuradhapura, in collaboration with the Anuradhapura clinical society on the 3rd of July 2019. Resource persons involved: Dr. Nalin Kitulwatte, Dr. M.A.M. Fizal, Dr. Deshan Adhihetty and Dr. Udaya de Silva.
The second programme was held at Lady Ridgeway hospital for Children – Colombo on 02nd of August 2019. Resource persons involved: Dr. Nalin Kitulwatte, Dr. Manjula Hewageegana, Dr. Deshan Adhihetty and Dr. Saman Kumara.
The third programme was held at Lanka Hospitals- Colombo on 4th October 2019. Resource persons involved were Dr. Nalin Kitulwatte, Dr. Manjula Hewageegana, Dr. Deshan Adhihetty, Dr. Navoda Atapattu and Dr. Sanjaya Abeygunasekara.
The fourth programme was on management of Dengue haemorrhagic fever. It was held at Lady Ridgeway Hospital for Children – Colombo on 5th of December 2019. It was organisedin collaboration with the Dengue Control programme, National Epidemiology Unit – Ministry of health Sri Lanka. Resource persons involved were Dr. Nalin Kitulwatte, Dr. Deshan Adhihetty, Dr. Jayantha Weeraman and Dr. Hasitha Thissera. The fifth programme on Paediatric emergencies was done for nursing officers in collaboration with the Paediatric Nurses Association. It was held at Lady Ridgeway hospital for Children – Colombo on the 7th of March 2020.Resource persons involved were Dr. Nalin Kitulwatte, Dr. Manjula Hewageegana, Dr. Deshan Adhihetty, Dr. Saman Kumara and Dr. Navoda Atapattu.
The PICC was given an entire symposium at the annual academic session of the SLCP 2019. It was held on 29th August 2019 with an excellent number of participants. The resource persons involved were Dr. Nalin Kitulwatte, Dr. M.A.M.Fizal, Dr. Manjula Hewageegana, Dr. Pradeep Gamage and Dr. Deshan Adhihetty.
The first annual session of the PICC was successfully held on 17th January 2020 at Waters Edge –Colombo with participation of local and foreign speakers. Resource persons involved were as follows.
Professor Seidemann Kathrin (Germany), Dr. Jack Thomas (Germany), Mr. Matthew Tan (USA), Dr. Nalin Kitulwatte, Dr. Manjula Hewageegana, Dr. M.A.M. Fizal, Dr. Navoda Atapattu, Dr. Sanjaya Abeygunasekara and Dr. Mahendra Somathilaka.
- High flow nasal oxygen therapy in COVID patients June 2021
Dr. Nalin Kitulwatte, Dr. Deshan Adhihetty
- PICC guidelines on management of acute COVID and MIS-C in collaboration of the SLCP, July 2021.
Dr. Nalin Kitulwatte, Dr. Deshan Adhihetty
PICC guidelines on management of Paediatric Status epilepticus May 2022
Dr. Nalin Kitulwaththe, Dr. Deshan Adhihetty, Dr. Pyara Rathnayaka